Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Himmelreich


photo's from website hofgut himmelreich
I have been to a seminar in Hofgut Himmelreich on Friday. Hofgut himmelreich is a restaurant / hotel / academy that have employed handicapped people. This way they learn about working in the hospitality industry and they are integrating in society. The seminar I fisited at the academy was called: „von tabu bis zur selbstbestimmung – sexualiteit bei menchen mit behinderung“. This was a very interesting subject. In my daily work at The Schakel this subject came up on a regular basis, because I worked there with adolescents how where handicapped. That’s way I decided to go.

The town Himmelreich is only 18 minutes away from Freiburg. The train goes in the direction of the mountains and the surroundings are breathtaking. I arrived at there Himmelreich around 5 o’clock. I was afraid that I couldn’t find the restaurant. As I got out of the train it seemed that this wouldn’t be a problem. The town is very small only 2 streets. And right on the other side of the small train station is Hofgut Himmelreich.
I had reserved a table in advance, luckily because it looked like it was going to be a busy night. I got a table near the old ceramic stove. This is typical German. I ordered a Jager schnitzel with home made spatzel. It was really diclinous!
The restaurant is well managed and has very good service. This I find really important. You should go there because the food and service is good not because there are handicapped people working there. I think it is a really great idea to let handicapped people work in hotels and restaurants. This concept integrates my two passions, working with handicapped people (present education) and my love for good food (previous education, hotel management). It was nice to see how it works out.

At 19.00 hour the presentation started. I really enjoyed thinking hearing and reading about the subject of that night. I was able to read more about the subject because I have brought a Dutch school book with me about sexuality, intimacy and social work. So in advance I learned about the Dutch point of view on this subject.
There is a big difference between Holland and Germany already in mentality towards sex and talking about it. But the professor was really open and in my opinion he was very good in respecting the rights of people with a handicap. This is what I find really important. We also talked about how far we can/should or would go as a social worker. All very interesting! The meeting ended at 21.00 hour. I was really tiered afterwards, and got serious head pain because I concentrated so hard, but I learned a lot!
Greetings josé

their website: http://www.hofgut-himmelreich.de/

Nederlands

Ik ben afgelopen vrijdag naar Hofgut Himmelreich gegaan. Dit is een hotel, restaurant en school voor en door gehandicapte mensen. Ik ging er speciaal naar toe om op de school een voorlezing bij te wonen over het onderwerp van taboe tot zelfbestemming – sexualiteit bij mensen met een handicap.

Ik ben met de trein naar het plaatsje Himmelreich gereden. Ik was even bang dat ik het misschien niet kon vinden maar dat bleek onmogelijk aangezien het hotel naast het station lag en het dorp niet meer dan twee straten heeft. Ik had een tafel gereserveerd en heb heerlijk gegeten. Het was erg leuk om te zien hoe twee van mijn passies van dit moment lekker eten en werken met gehandicapte zo samen werden gebracht. Het hotel/restaurant zag er mooi verzorgd en profesioneel uit. In de bediening en de keuken werken mensen mee met een handicap. Zij worden heel goed begeleid en alles liep keurig op rolletjes zoals ik dat eigelijk ook minimaal verwacht van een restaurant. Het moet niet zo zijn dat je naar het hofgut komt uit medelijden maar omdat je daar goed eten kan en vriendelijk bedient wordt. Dit hebben zij goed weten te berijken! Gehandicapte mensen krijgen daardoor een volwaardig aandeel in het bedrijf (hetzij ze partime werken) en zijn volledig geintergreed in de maatschapij doomiddel van het hebben van een betaalde baan. Heel interesant.

Maar ik kwam voor de voorlezing. Die begon om 7 uur. Vooraf heb ik me kunnen inlezen over het onderwerp omdat ik een boek mee had over sexualiteit, intimiteit en hulpverleing. (dit is een van de boeken van het tweede jaar SPH) Ik kon me zo inlezen in het standpunt en de regels zoals die in NL geleden. Tijdens de voordracht vertelde een profesor zeer goed over de rechten van gehandicapte mensen en onze positie als hulpverlener bij sexualiteit. Het blijkt nog niet zo makkelijk allemaal. Ik merkte wel dat er een groot verschil is tussen de mentaliteit in Duitsland en Nederland op gebied van spreken over sex. Dit was interesant om te zien. Om negen uur was de voordracht afgelopen en had ik goeie hoofdpijn van het intensief luisteren. Ik heb in elk geval weer veel geleerd en gezien die dag.

No comments: