Tuesday, May 15, 2007

My grandpa's funeral

Westgaarde, Amsterdam
Yesterday my grandpa found his last resting place.
At 10.30 we al gathered in his room at the elderly home to see him before he would be placed in a wooden coffin. There where many flowers and picitures of my grandma (how pased away 5 years ago) and the famely. For me it feld right this way.

We drove to Westgaarde cremation center in Amsterdam. There where many people to say good bye to him. We listen to music that he loved and my mother ,brother and me had prepared a speeche. Unfortunatly my tears came while speaking so my poem was difficult to hear between tears. After standing together around the coffin saying the last goodbyes we walked away in the lounge where all the other people where waiting. It was a verry nice funeral. My grandpa will be cremated adn his ashes wil be scattered over a ash field at Westgraarde. I hope he has found his peace.


The poem I wrote:
Als ik dood ben, treur dan niet
Ik ben niet echt dood, moet je weten
Het is mijn lichaam dat ik achterliet
dood ben ik pas, als je mij bent vergeten.
Herinner mij niet in sombere dagen,
herinner mij in de stralende zon,
hoe ik was, toen ik alles nog kon.

Mijn opa heeft dapper gestreden,
en zo moedig heeft hij alles aanvaard.
dit deed hij in alle omstandigheden
Dit zat gewoon in zijn aard
Vol trots wil ik dan ook aan hem zeggen,
rust zacht, we vergeten je niet.

josé

Nederlands:
Gisteren hebben wij afscheid genomen van mijn opa. Hij is gecremeeed op de Westerbegraafplaats in Amsterdam. Het was een mooi afscheid. Er waren veel mensen die ons en vooral mijn moeder steunde. Hierboven staat het gedicht vermeld wat ik heb voorgedragen door mijn tranen heen.


No comments: